Gas leaks near intersection of Drive A & Drive H
POSTED2 years ago
A gas leak near the intersection of Drive A and Drive H forced the temporary evacuation of residents in nearby apartments late Friday morning.
The leak resulted from construction workers striking a gas line while working on the new parking structure behind the Clark Center a little before 11 a.m.
The residents of Buildings 2 and 12 of Phase 1 were evacuated to the Activity Center and the Student Union shortly thereafter. Buses on the 883 route were also temporarily taken off service as well.
At about 12 p.m., Atmos Energy, which supplies natural gas to the apartments on campus, turned off the gas and the evacuated residents were able to return to their apartments.
Celina Cardenas, the public affairs manager for Atmos Energy in Dallas and Collin county, said, they sent out a team to the scene when the university reached out to the company.
Cardenas said Atmos planned to bring in compressed natural gas from Fort Worth on Friday to supply the affected areas until the lines are fixed, which she said will not be until sometime next week.
Cardenas said she did not have an estimate on the cost of the damage. She stressed the importance of knowing what to do in the event of a gas leak.
“(If you smell) that rotten egg smell, don’t hesitate to call us, or call 911,” she said.