Spring enrollment for in-person classes remains same as fall

Spring enrollment for in-person classes remains same as fall

Vast majority of students either didn’t have choice or opted for virtual format

123 classes at UTD were offered in-person this semester, but next semester is promising a slightly decreased availability of 114 in-person classes. According to a survey conducted by The Mercury, 10 percent of students will be attending in-person classes, while the other 90 percent either did not have the choice...

Read more
Big Idea Competition goes virtual, Glaucomedi takes first prize

Big Idea Competition goes virtual, Glaucomedi takes first prize

Online format had different structure with pre-recorded pitches, live streamed Q&A session

Featuring a keynote speech from Mark Cuban on Nov. 19, this year’s Big Idea Competition was held virtually – with medical technology startup Glaucomedi winning first place in the student track. The Big Idea Competition is a startup pitch competition that began 14 years ago at UTD. Students, faculty or...

Read more
Student Government’s push for extended credit/no credit option fails

Student Government’s push for extended credit/no credit option fails

Students called for an extended credit/no credit option similar to the one offered last spring; but despite Student Government’s push to make the option available, the measure didn’t pass. Under normal circumstances, students must indicate whether they would like to take a course with credit/no credit grading – pass/fail for...

Read more
Streamlining internship application process

Streamlining internship application process

QuickApply simplifies online job applications for students

A new software engineering job search tool allows computer science students to quickly find and apply for internships. The tool’s creator, Alex Ruber, studied computer science and math as an undergraduate at UC San Diego and has internship experience at Yahoo, Udemy and NASA. This experience with applying for internships,...

Read more
Developer proposes new apartment complex near campus

Developer proposes new apartment complex near campus

Housing development is suggested to meet need caused by student population growth

In response to rapid student population growth and a shortage of on-campus housing, two new apartment complexes have been proposed for development just north of campus. According to the agenda for the Nov. 17 meeting of the Richardson City Plan Commission, the proposal consists of two apartment buildings: a five-story...

Read more
‘It’s not what we want for y’all, but there is light at the end of this tunnel’

‘It’s not what we want for y’all, but there is light at the end of this tunnel’

Freshmen discuss their first-year experience online

The transition from high school to online college has UTD freshmen finding new ways to cope with new problems. In a survey conducted by The Mercury, out of 150 respondents, 77% of freshmen respondents said that they felt like they didn’t have a normal first semester of college or a...

Read more
No freshman McDermott scholars to be selected next academic year

No freshman McDermott scholars to be selected next academic year

For the 2021-2022 academic year, the process for selecting McDermott Scholars has been discontinued. As a result, there will be no freshman class of scholars next year. The program made this choice due to COVID-19 guidelines that would significantly change the format of the finalist weekend, which typically entails 150...

Read more
‘We are grateful for the students for sharing their ideas and giving us their time’

‘We are grateful for the students for sharing their ideas and giving us their time’

Student members of ‘Living Our Values’ task force leave citing slow progress, difficulty managing duties with other responsibilities

The Living Our Values task force has introduced three implementation plans for the upcoming semester. After the death of George Floyd in May, the Black Student Body group sent a letter to President Benson with demands for on-campus reform. In June, UTD formed the Living Our Values task force to...

Read more